Coconut Chutney is a Popular Chutney Recipe in South India. It Pairs with idli's,Dosa's,Pongal, Uttapam,Paniyaram's,Upma's,Rava Dosa,Medu Vada, Bonda & adai. It is an all Purpose Chutney. you can make lots of variations with this chutney. No idli's,dosa's or Pongal are served in hotels without Coconut Chutney.Coconut Chutney is a king or Queen of all Chutneys.Freshly Grated coconut ground with fried dal, tempered with curry leaves is a Wonderful accompaniment for Indian Dosa's & idli's. From elders to youngers everyone likes this chutney. This chutney could also be made very quickly at our busy mornings. Now we learn to make the chutney.
Grate the Coconut & keep it aside.
- Grind Grated Coconut, along with fried gram,Green chillies,Tamarind,salt with needed water into smooth Chutney.
- Heat the oil add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dal,Curry leaves, & when dal's turns Golden brown colour, Pour over the chutney.
- Now Coconut chutney is Ready to serve.
- Always use freshly Grated coconut for best Results.
- if the chutney is little bit runny, adjust with coconut or fried Gram.
- Always add water little by little to make Chutney.
- Adding a tsp of urad dal gives nice crunchy taste to chutney.
- Adding curry leaves gives nice flavour to chutney.
- Always use less quantity of Fried Gram than Coconut Gratings.
you can make lots of variations to this chutney.
- Add 1/2 inch Ginger while Grinding.
- Add 1 tbsp of peanuts while Grinding.
- Add 1 sprig Curry leaves while Grinding.
- Add 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves while Grinding.
- Add one shallot while Grinding.
- Add Red chillies instead of Green chillies while Grinding for Red colour.
- Add Equal number of Red chillies & Green chillies While Grinding for spiciness.
- Add a Garlic flake while Grinding.
- Temper with a Red chillies.