Gongura Pachadi is a Popular Recipe in Andhra Pradesh.Tangy Pachadi, when mixed with hot Piping Rice & dollop of Ghee, tastes awesome. In Andhra hotels, normally we mix rice with Andhra Gun Powder,with dollop of Ghee & we have Gongura Pachadi as an accompaniment for it.It tastes divine.Gongura is a Red sorrel leaves,known as Pulicha Keerai in Tamil,Pundi Palle in karnataka,Pitwaa in Hindi, Taka bhendi or Khata Palanga in Oriya, Kotrum in Jharkhand Mestapat in Bengali, Amaari in Chhattisgarhi, Pandi/Pundi in Kannada, Anthur in Mizo, Sougri in Manipuri, Sankokda in Punjabi, Aamelli in Chakma, Kenaf Leaves in English, and Chin Baungin Chinese.(Wikipedia).
Fresh leaves of the red sorrel help to stimulate the stomach and to sharpen the appetite.Sorrel leaves are rich in calcium, which helps in strengthening the bones. Sorrel is a good source of iron, sodium and phosphorous and also contains the green leafy content chlorophyll. It helps in increasing the hemoglobin level in the body and is beneficial for anemic people.Sorrel leaves contain a good amount of Vitamin A , which helps in improving eyesight and eliminates night blindness .Now we will learn to make Healthy Tangy Gongura Pachadi.
Choose the Gongura leaves, with red stems.Pluck the Gongura leaves, & wash it thoroughly with water, Then drain it in a colander, let it sit, aside for 10 minutes.
- Add 1 tsp of oil, add Red chillies, saute till it turns golden brown, then add hing give the quick mix & remove it from kadai.
- In same kadai add 1 tbsp of oil, add Gongura, saute till it turns mushy, as shown in the picture,then switch off the flame.
- Grind Red chillies with salt in a blender, when chillies got powdered, add mushy Gongura leaves & grind it into a smooth paste.(don't add water for longer life).
- Heat the oil (nearly 30 gms), add mustard seeds, when it splutters add ground paste,saute till oil oozes & it leaves the sides of kadai.
- Now Gongura Pachadi is Ready serve.
- There are two types of Sorrel leaves(Gongura), one is Green stemmed & Red stemmed. Always choose Red Stemmed Sorrel leaves for Good Results.
- Don't add water, while Grinding, for shelf life.
- Adjust the Red chillies, according to your spiciness.
- Always use dry spoon for longer life.
- if you love tanginess, you can have it with idli, dosa & chapathi's also.