Masala vada is a popular South Indian Recipe Made with Chana dal and spices like cinnamon and fennel which makes the vadas spicy.Adding mint leaves, curry leaves and coriander leaves gives additional flavour to vada's. This recipe is made during festive occasions in south Indian homes. It is one of the popular street side snack.Chana dal is low in fat and high in fiber content. Now we learn to make masala vada Recipe.
- soak the chana dal for minimum 2 hrs.
- chop onions, mint leaves, coriander leaves, curry leaves very finely.
- Grind Red chillies, Green chillies, Garlic, Ginger, fennel seeds in blender/ mixie coarsely.
- Then drain the water completely from chanadal , add it to mixie/blender along with coarsely ground items.
- Now Grind chanadal into a coarse paste, few whole dals, here and there is fine.
- Add finely chopped onions, coriander leaves, mint leaves, curry leaves with salt.Mix well.
- Heat the oil, to check it is hot, place a small portion of batter into the oil, when it pops immediately, it is an indication that oil is hot.
- Now, Make small lemon sized balls, and pat it into a circular disc of medium thickness. Dip in a bowl of water in between while making vadas.
- Then deep fry it, till it turns golden brown on both the sides.
- Cook the vadas in a medium flame.
- Grinding it to a coarse paste, is important.
- while grinding if you feel, batter is too thick, drizzle some water while grinding.
- if the you feel the batter is somewhat runny, add 1 tbsp of rice flour for substitution.
- Adding more onions gives extra taste and crispness to vada's.
- if you are not confident in making vadas in hand, you could use ziplog covers or banana leaves. wet your hands in between with water.
- Adding Mint leaves gives extra flavour to Vada.