Nei appam is a Sweet Recipe made mainly during Karthigai Deepam, at south Indian Homes. This Appam is made with Rice, Jaggery and coconut. In home we normally make this with kara appam. We also call it as sweet Ponganalu. Ground rice with jaggery and coconut along with ghee tastes divine. Now we learn to make this authentic recipe.
Soak the Raw rice for minimum 3 hrs in water.
- Grind Raw rice and Grated coconut into a fine batter, with little water, to a thick paste.
- Melt the jaggery with little water. when it is melted completely ,filter it, to remove the impurities.Add it to ground rice batter. Then add baking soda and salt.Mix well.Now batter for appam is ready.
- Heat the paniyaram pan, when it is hot, spoon it with ghee. Then spoon it with batter, in each partition. When it is cooked on one side, you get some holes in paniyaram, then you can flip it with skewer, or spoon or knife.cook in low flame.
- Cook for few minutes, till paniyaram(ponganalu) turns golden brown. Then remove from pan.Now Nei appam is ready for karthigai deepam.
- Add very little water, to melt jaggery.
- Consistency of the batter should be little thick, to get good shape.
- Adding a cup of coconut gives, softness to paniyaram.
- Fermentation is not necessary for this batter.