Barnyard Millet Pongal is made with Barnyard millet, Jaggery, milk, banana and some dry fruits.Barnyard millet known as kuthiravali in Tamil,Oodalu in Kannada,odalu in Telugu,Jhangora in Hindi and Kavadapullu in Malayalam.Barnyard millet is rich in High Fiber content.Barnyard millet has the lowest carbohydrate content and energy value amongst all the varieties of Millets. The bran layers of millets are good sources of B-complex vitamins.Now we learn to make healthy Pongal Recipe.Adding milk, banana and some dry fruits adds additional taste to Pongal.
- Soak the barnyard millet in a cup of water for 15 minutes.
- Melt the jaggery with little water, and filter it to remove impurities and keep it aside.
- With barnyard millet and 1 cup of water, add 1 cup of milk and pressure cook for 1 whistle,then keep it in sim mode for 5 minutes,then switch off the flame.
- When pressure subsides,open the lid, now switch on the flame,mash the rice with ladle,then add jaggery syrup little by little and mix well.
- Add 1/4 cup of ghee little by little, and give a stir,till it leaves the sides of cooker. cut the banana into cubes and add to it.
- Finally garnish with Roasted Almonds,cashews and raisins.(fry the dryfruits in a tsp of ghee, till it turns golden and add it to pongal).
- Now Pongal is ready to serve.
- Serve the pongal hot.
- you could also add walnuts & pista's for garnishing according to your taste.
- Adding banana Gives additional taste to pongal.