Seedai is a Rice based Popular crispy snack, made during Krishna jayanthi.As Krishna Jayanthi falls on September 5th of 2015, I Planned to Post this recipe. This seedai is Good to munch. Every one told that this seedai will burst while frying.but my Neighbour Mallika Aunty Gave confidence, and tips to make this seedai. I followed those tips and it came out well without bursting. Already i posted Maida Seedai.It was no burst seedai.Even beginners can try it with Confidence.Uppu seedai comes out well with home Made Rice flour.
Home Made Rice Flour - 2 cups.
urad dal - 2 tbsp.
Ghee/Butter - 3 tbsp.
salt - as Needed.
Sesame Seeds - 1 tsp.
hing - 1/4 tsp.
oil - to deep fry.
Preparation of Seedai flour
- Soak 2 cups of Raw rice for minimum 2 hours.Then drain the water completely and spread it in a towel for one hour, to remove excess water. Grind it into fine powder. Sieve the flour.(you can add the coarse powder, in next batch of grinding).
- you can also give it in a mill to grind.Now Rice flour is Ready.
- Roast the urad dal till it turns golden brown, then grind it into a fine powder,then sieve it.Now urad dal powder is ready.
- Mix Rice flour + urad dal Powder together.Now Roast the flour mixture in a kadai, till it is hot to touch.
- Then again sieve the flour.Now Seedai flour is ready.
- Take a Wide mixing bowl, add flour mixture, hing,salt,ghee, sesame seeds and mix well. Add water,little by little and make it, into a soft pliable dough.
- Make small balls and arrange it in a towel for half an hour,to remove moisture.Don't give pressure while making balls. Make it gently.
- Heat the oil in a kadai, when oil is hot, add these balls, keep stirring for even cooking.
- Once shh!! sound subsides, remove the seedai, from oil and drain it in a kitchen towel, to remove excess oil.
- crunchy seedai is ready for krishna Jayanthi.
Tips to avoid seedai from bursting.
- Always use home made rice flour for making seedai to get good result.
- Sieve the flour twice or thrice for best result.
- Add water little by little to make a soft pliable dough.
- Make balls gently without giving pressure.
- Roast the flour, such that it is hot to touch.
- After making balls, it is necessary to dry the balls to avoid bursting.