Thotta Kura Pappu is an Healthy & protein Rich Andhra Recipe made with Thota kura(Amarnath Leaves). It can also be prepared with any type of Greens. it is called Mulai keerai in Tamil.Cooked dal & Greens when blended together with tangy tomatoes tastes divine. Amarnath leaves have high protein & fiber content.Amaranth leaves contain a wide range of minerals, including a high concentration of calcium for stronger & healthy bones.
- Pressure Cook Toor dal + Moongdal together with turmeric & needed water till soft & mash it.
- Heat the oil, add pearl onions,Crushed Garlic & slit Green chillies.
- Saute till onions turns Pink. Then add Chopped Greens, add little salt.
- Saute now & then at medium flame. Greens oozes water & it gets cooked with it.
- When the water is almost absorbed, add chopped tomatoes, saute till it turns mushy.
- Then add mashed dal with needed water & salt(adjust salt). Let it boil for few minutes till it gets little thick consistency. Switch of the flame & mash it well.
- Finally heat the oil, add cumin seeds when it sizzles add hing give a quick mix & pour over Pappu.
- I used Mulai keerai instead you can use sirukeerai, Araikkerai, or Thandukeerai.
- Always use Pearl Onions for Good taste.
- crushing the Garlic gives nice flavour to dal.
- Saute the Greens with little salt in medium flame.Greens oozes water & leaves gets shrinked & cooked with that water itself.
- While Cooking Greens,don't close the lid, cook it open because volatile acid needs to escape.Greens cooks faster with open lid itself.