Bhajji is an tasty deep fried fritters, made during some special occasions, As ugadi falls on 21st march, i planned to Post for Ugadi.In Coimbatore, street vendors sell this bajji's near my home. Weekly once my Grandmother gives me money, to get this.My Grand mother tries to make bajji's, but she can't get shape, After I learnt making, she asks me make bajji for her. once when i went to home town, i made for her. she was happy with that.I will teach you step wise pictures, to make bhajji.
Peel the skin of Raw plantain using peeler, or knife,then slice it, into thin slices using a slicer, or knife and immerse it in water, to avoid discoloration. keep it aside.
- Take a mixing bowl, add Besan flour, Rice flour , hing , Cumin Powder,Idli/dosa batter,chilli powder and salt.mix well. Then add water little by little to make a thick batter like idli batter consistency. batter should not be too thick or thin.
- Take each Raw plaintain slices, drain it from water, dip and coat it in a batter evenly, and carefully drop one by one in hot oil.
- Fry them till it turns golden brown,on both the sides,Cook in medium flame.
- Drain the excess oil in a paper towel or tissue towel. Then serve hot.
- Consistency of batter is important step, while making bhajji's. it should not be too thick or thin, if it is thick, bhajji's wont get cooked, if it is too thin,can't coat the bhajji's in batter.
- if you don't have idli/dosa batter, replace it with a pinch of baking soda.
- Adding cumin powder enhances the spiciness of bhajji's.
- Coat the bhajji's evenly with batter.
- You can replace Raw plantain with onions,brinjal's, potatoes and ajwain leaves.
- you can also use ready made bhajji mix to make bhaaji's. but use my tips for preparation.