- Take 1 + 1/2 cup of urad dal, and dry roast it, till it is hot, and also you get mild aroma of urad dal.Then grind it into a fine powder in a mixie.
- sieve the ground powder, and keep it aside.
- To the Mixing bowl, add rice flour, urad dal flour,cumin seeds,salt,hing, and butter. mix it well.
- Then add coconut milk little by little to prepare a soft dough.(you can also add water additionally to it, if the milk is not enough to prepare a dough).
- Take a Murukku maker with three holes plate,put the dough into it. squeeze it in a desired shape over a plastic sheet or zip lock cover as shown in the picture.
- Heat the oil in kadai, when it is hot put small piece of dough in the oil, when it pops out immediately,it is the right indication that oil is hot.
- Now put squeezed jantikalu(murukku) into oil,fry it on both the sides,until it is cooked and turns golden brown on both the sides and also till the "shhh" sound stops from oil.
- later place it in a Kitchen towel to drain the oil.Then finally place it in a air tight container,it has a self life of 10 -12 days.
- if you are making large quantity of murukku, divide the flour into portions to make the dough, else the murukku turns red.
- The consistency of dough should be soft, if it is hard, murukku turns hard, else if it is too soft murukku absorbs more oil.
- Make sure to cover the dough through out, to avoid drying of flour.
- if mill is near by, you can also give rice and urad dal in a mill, to make it ground to a fine powder.
- Adding butter gives extra crispness to murukku(jantikalu).