Onion Rava Dosa is an Popular South Indian breakfast Recipe.It is an Instant Dosa Recipe made with Rava,semolina,Rice flour & Maida.Spiced with cumin seeds,pepper corns & Green chillies.Topped with Roasted Onions.When ever we go for Restaurant, me & my husband often orders Onion Rava Dosa. Now we will learn the recipe, to make the dosa.
- Take a Mixing bowl, add Rice flour,Rava, Maida & salt. Add needed water, to make thin batter consistency like butter milk consistency.(I have added 3 + 1/2 cups of water,approximately.)
- Mix well without any lumps. I used whisk to mix the batter. you can also use your hands.
- Then add cumin seeds,pepper corns,Green chillies,curry leaves, & coriander leaves. Now Mix well using a ladle. Give a standing time of 1/2 an hour.
- Meanwhile chop the Onions finely, then add oil in a pan/kadai, & saute the onions till it turns light Golden brown colour.Then keep it aside.
- Heat the tawa, when it is hot, smear little oil over the tawa, & rub with onions for 1 minute. Then take ladle of batter and pour it from the edges, then fill the center part,as shown in the picture.drizzle some oil.
- Then immediately sprinkle the onions.
- Cook in medium flame, till the dosa turns golden brown colour. It takes some time to cook.
- When it turns golden brown colour,don't flip the dosa. just fold the dosa & remove it from tawa.
- serve it with Coconut chutney,tomato chutney or sambar.
- Make the batter thin like butter Milk consistency, to get crispy dosa.
- If you feel batter is so thin, add rice flour accordingly.
- If you feel batter is thick, adjust water according to consistency.
- Mix the batter everytime, when you pour the batter on the tawa/skillet,while making Rava dosa.
- Every time,when you pour dosa,check batter consistency, it may tend to thick, after few dosa's.Then adjust water accordingly.
- Adding Ginger & coriander leaves gives nice flavour to dosa.
- if you feel dosa is thick, dilute the batter with needed water to get lacy dosa's.
- Instead of oil, adding Ghee to make dosa gives nice taste to dosa.