Obbatu saaru is a Popular Rasam Made in Andra and Karnataka during Festive Occasions. Obbattu saaru is made with leftover Hoorna(obbattu/Holige poornam.) It is mainly made during ugadi festival.Tanginess of Tamarind and sweetness of jaggery when mixed with lentils makes rasam tastes awesome. Now we will learn to make Obbattu saaru with simple steps.
Hoorna - 1/3 cup or 2 balls.
[ Hoorna is obbattu/holige filling normally made with Toordal+jaggery+coconut or
Chanadal +jaggery+coconut ]
plz refer my obbattu/Holige Recipe for further reference].
Tomato - 1.
tamarind - small amla size.
Rasam Powder - 1 + 1/4 tsp.
salt - as needed.
cilantro - few (for Garnishing)
oil - to fry.
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp.
curry leaves - 6.
Garlic - 1.
hing - 1/8 tsp.
- Crush the garlic and curryleaves together in Mortar and pestle.
- put the tomato in boiling water, let it boil till tomato is soft and it has crack in the skin. Then remove the skin of tomato.
- put the tamarind in 1/2 cup of water for 1 hr to prepare tamarind extract. throw the pulp and retain the water.
- Take a wide Vessel, squeeze the boiled tomato.Add tamarind water, hoorna, rasam powder, 1/2 cup of water and salt.mix everthing.check for taste. [Add rasam powder, salt and water according to your taste buds].
- Boil the saaru mixture in a pan for few minutes till raw smell goes. Remove from flame.Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Finally heat the oil, add mustard when it splutters add crushed curryleaves and garlic and hing. saute till garlic turns golden brown colour.Finally add it over saaru. Now Holige rasam is ready.