Diamond cuts is a Crispy, crunchy Snack, Good to munch at Tea time. Diamond cuts is also known as khara Maida Biscuit or Spicy Shankarpali or thukkudi . This is also a Popular tea time snack. This might be the Popular snack among the kids, the shape & crunchiness of the biscuit makes the kids to love this snack. This biscuit has a combination of spicy & sour taste.
- Take a wide vessel, add butter,salt,hing, chilli powder mix well with your finger tip. Then add maida & mix well.
- Now add sour curd little by little to make smooth & stiff dough.
- cover the dough & let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into lemon sized balls & roll into thin disc. Dust the flour as & when needed. Roll the disc as thin as possible.
- Using pizza cutter or knife draw horizontal lines then vertical lines, to form diamond shape.
- Separate each piece Gently and arrange it side by side on a kitchen paper or a plate.
- Heat the pan with oil, to check if oil is hot, take a pinch of dough & Put in oil, if the dough raises immediately, it is an indication that oil is in correct temperature, else heat the oil for few seconds.
- Now Gather the diamond cuts & add to hot oil, till the pan holds.
- Deep fry in a medium low flame, till it turns golden brown, gently turn midway during frying for even cooking.
- Drain in a kitchen towel or tissue to absorb excess oil.
- When it cools down to room temperature store it in a air tight container.
- Instead of curd you can use half lemon & remaining water to make the dough.
- Instead of red chilly powder, you can Grind 4 Green chillies & add it to the maida mixture.
- I like to eat puffed up biscuits, if you don't want the biscuits to puff up, prick on each diamond cut using fork,before deep frying.
- Instead of maida, you can use half & half wheat flour & Maida.