Pulisadam or Puliyodhara, is an authentic recipe in Indian cuisine. It is considered as a festival food.Puliyodharai is made during auspicious Occasions. It is offered as Prasadam in many Temple.In Karnataka it is referred as Puliyogare.In Tamil Nadu it is called "Puliyodharai" or "Pulisadam'". It is also a travel recipe. when we went to maine for fall season, with friends we made this Puliyodharai. I just made pulikachal from my home & packed it. we cooked rice over there with rice cooker & mixed with this tamarind paste. it tasted divine.
- Cook 1 cup of rice with 3 cups of water for 3 whistles.When rice is cooked, place it on the plate, and drizzle 1 tbsp of oil over it.Allow it to cool completely.so rice comes as seperate grains. This is important step in making variety rice.
- Soak the tamarind in 1 cup of hot water for 1/2 an hr, to preparetamarind extract, retain the juice and throw the pulp.
- Make spice powder as explained above.
Method for preparation of Pulikacchal (Tamarind paste)
Heat the oil, add mustard seeds, when it crackles, add all other items in seasoning section and saute for few seconds, then add tamarind extract, turmeric, salt, cook for few minutes till the raw smell Goes off. Now add prepared spice powder(as needed), give a quick mix. cook until it it gets thick consistency.Now Tamarind paste(Pulikacchal) is ready.
How to mix with Rice.
- Take a wide vessesl, add rice, add needed tamarind paste , remaining needed spice powder, needed salt, add another 2 tbsp of peanuts and finally 1 tbsp of sesame oil , mix well Gently. I used hand to mix it.(Add needed tamarind paste , spice powders and salt according to your taste buds.)
- Now Tamarind rice is ready.Give a standing time for 30 minutes. Then serve.
- I have added peanuts once while making tamarind paste and while mixing with rice at the last, which gives extra nutty taste to the rice.
- When u plan to take tamarind rice for trips, mix with ladle don't use hands.
- you could make spice powder seperately & store it in a container for a month. Similarly you can make tamarind paste seperately & store it in fridge for weeks. When required just make rice and mix with it.
Puliyodharai - Authentic Pulihora - Tamarind Rice - Step Wise Pictures By Gayathri, jan 03, 2014 Pulihora