Mixed Vegetable Sambar Goes Very Well with Rice, idli, Dosa and Pongal.Sambar is a typical South Indian Recipe.Sambar is a part of day to day recipe. I have used Drumstick, brinjal and potato. you can add veggies of your choice. veggies contain essential vitamins, minerals, and fiber that your body needs and helps fight some diseases.Toor dal also provides complex carbohydrates, fiber and folic acid.Now we learn to make healthy sambar.
oil - to fry.
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp.
Cumin Seeds - 1/4 tsp.
fenugreek seeds - 10.
hing -1/8 tsp.
Pearl onions - 8 - 10.
tomato (Medium) - 1.
curry leaves - few.
Mixed Vegetables - 3/4 cup.
(I used brinjal - 1, drumstick - 1, Potato(small) - 2).
sambar Powder - 1 + 1/4 tsp.
tamarind - small amla size(Goosebery size)
salt - to taste.
Toor dal - 1/3 cup.
turmeric - 1/8 tsp.
cilantro - few. (chopped)
Veggies of your Choice (you can use any of these choice for sambar it goes well)
- Brinjal,drumstick,broad beans(chikkudukaya,Avarakkai).
- zucchini, carrot,brinjal, capsicum,potato.
- (When u r using capsicum, when veggies are half done,then add capsicum, to maintain its crunchiness)
- Soak the tamarind in water for 1/2 an hour to extract tamarind water, then retain the water and throw the pulp.
- Pressure cook the toor dal with turmeric till it becomes mushy.
- Heat the oil, add mustard seeds, when it splutters add cumin, fenugreek seeds, hing.
- When cumin seeds, sizzles add pearl onions, tomato, all the veggies, and curry leaves saute for 1 minute.
- Then add needed water,according to the consistency, when 3/4 th of the veggies are cooked, add tamarind water.
- After 1 minute, add sambar powder and salt.stir well.
- When raw smell of tamarind extract and sambar powder goes, add cooked toor dal, stir well, let it boil for few minutes, till it gets sambar consistency.
- Finally Garnish with Fresh Cilantro.
- It goes very well with steamed Rice, idli, Dosa and pongal.
Mixed Vegetable Sambar - Pappu Pulusu - With Step Wise Pictures - Sambar Recipe By Gayathri, Nov 5, 2013 Simple Sambar Recipe