Averakalu (field beans) is a Popular Legume in Karnataka. Throughout the Winter season, kannadigas makes different Recipes with Averakalu.It is called Pithigi Pappu in telugu,Mochai Kottai in Tamil, hyacinth beans in English & Surti Papdi lilva in Hindi.This legume has its own taste & flavour.I am the big fan of this legume.At our homes we make Averakalu Saagu for Chapathi's. Today i have tried Averakalu Saaru with it.Rasam was so unique & distinct with its flavours & taste of Averakalu.It was so delish with Rice. So i wanted to share it with you all.
- Soak the Fresh field beans for 4 to 5 hrs in water.Then the skin of Field beans will becomes soft.Then, drain the water, & hold the beans between your hands, & press gently as shown in the picture, outer skin will come out, leaving the inner seed. similarly remove the skin for all seeds.
- Soak the tamarind in 1/2 cup of water, till soft.Then squeeze the tamarind,retain the juice & throw the Pulp.
- Heat the oil, add mustard seeds, when it splutters add cumin seeds, when it sizzles add Averakalu, saute for 2 minutes, in a medium flame,then add 1/2 cup of water.
- Cook for few minutes, till averakalu is soft.(mostly it gets cooked within 7 - 9 minutes).
- Then add tamarind extract with 2 + 1/2 cups of water.
- Mean while Grind everything given in ' To Grind ' column with needed water & salt.Grind everything into a little coarse paste.
- Then add ground paste to boiling water,Mix well.
- Cook in a medium flame. When it is boiled once,switch off the flame.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro.Serve with Hot Piping Rice.
- Adding ground tomato gives, nice flavour to Rasam.
- Adjust Red chillies, according to your spiciness.
- you can add Grated coconut or coconut pieces for Grinding.