Puran Poli is a flat sweet bread made with Jaggery and dal in Maharastra,Andhra, Tamilnadu,Karnataka,Gujarat and Goa.It is called Puran poli or Puranachi poli in Maharastra, Obbattu or Bobbatlu in Andra Pradesh, Holige in karnataka. It is an authentic Indian recipe. Poli is made during many of the festive Occasions such as Ugadi,Navaratri Vratham, Vinayagar Chaturthi,holi, Avani avittam.
To Make Outer Dough
Combine Maida,salt, turmeric powder, 2 tbsp of oil together & add water little by little, to make a dough. finally add 1 tbsp of oil over the dough, cover it & let it sit aside for minimum 3 hours. Dough will loosen. Then after 3 hours, knead the dough again, to make smooth & pliable dough.
- Meanwhile, Saute the chanadal for 5 min, till you get nice aroma.Then transfer it to a vessel & add needed water and pressure cook it for 5 whistles.
- Grind cooked chanadal, coconut and powdered jaggery into a coarse paste.(You should drain the water completely from chanadal before grinding).
- Make equal sized balls from the dough, as shown in the picture.
- Grease the banana leaf or ziploc cover with oil, place the balls and pat it into small poori's.
- Then spread, into circular disc, as thin you can and cook it on the tawa.Cook at low - medium flame, on both the sides, till Golden spots appear, by smearing a tsp of Ghee.
- When it is cooked on both the sides, remove it from the tawa.
- More the time the dough sits aside, dough will be softer & becomes like elastic.
- Also, Do not compromise the quantity of oil, else dough won't be softer, so obviously poli's.
- Making the dough thin or thick, depends upon your choice.
- Adding the turmeric is optional.
- Instead of chanadal, you can make purnam using Toor dal also.
- Let the poornam be stiff, if watery, poornam will come out while making bobbatlu.
- you can smear the Ghee on the top of Bobbatlu for extra taste,while serving.
Puran Poli - Bobbatlu- Step Wise Pictures - obbattu recipe - holige recipe By Gayathri, Nov 5, 2013 Puran Poli