Pongal is a harvest festival of hindu, that follows a solar calendar and it is celebrated on 14th of janauary every year. This harvest festival is celebrated all over India with some Regional variations,known by different names and celebrated with different customs in different parts of the contry. It is celebrated as Makar sankranthi in many states of India such as Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Goa, Haryana, Jharkhand, Karnataka,Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Manipur, Odisha, Rajasthan, Sikkim, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand and West Bengal.(Wiki) Sakkarai Pongal (Thiyya Pongal) is made during this festival Occasion in South India. Freshly harvested Rice with Jaggery and Ghee makes a Pongal divine.
- Soak Rice and Moong dal together for 15 minutes.
- Melt the Jaggery with little water in a vessel, and filter it to remove impurities, and keep it aside.Now Jaggery Syrup is ready.
- Pressure cook Rice and Moongdal together with 2 + 1/2 cups of water for 1 whistle, then keep it in Sim mode for 5 minutes.Then switch off the flame.
- When pressure subsides, open the lid and mash well.
- Now switch on the stove. Add Jaggery syrup,then pinch of salt.Mix well.
- Add 1/4 cup of Ghee little by little and mix well.
- Pongal leaves the sides of the kadai.Finally Garnish with Cashews and Raisins.
For Detailed Picture description plz click my Samai Sakkarai Pongal Recipe.
- Serve hot.
- Adding pinch of salt, enriches the taste of Sakkarai Pongal.
SAKKARAI PONGAL RECIPE - SWEET PONGAL - SANKRANTI SWEET RECIPE - WITH STEP WISE PICTURES By Gayathri, Dec 16, 2013 Sakkarai pongal