Medhu vadai is a popular South Indian Recipe. No functions or festivals ends without this Medhu vadai. This is an Indian savory donut which is prepared during festival occasions like ganesh chathurthi,sankaranthi, ugadi, krishna jayanthi and diwali.This Donut is made with urad dal. Urad dal is a bean grown in southern Asia.Urad dal is rich in protein and has high fiber content.Now we learn to make tasty festive recipe.
urad dal - 3/4 cup.
green chillies - 2.
salt - for taste.
oil -to deep fry.
ginger - 1 inch.
curry leaves - 6.
raw rice - 1/2 tbsp.
pearl onions - 10 to 12. (very finely chopped)
- Soak urad dal and raw rice for 1 hr, along with it add green chillies and ginger, so it won't come to mouth.Grind everything into a smooth paste by draining water.
- After making the batter add salt,curry leaves, onion to it and mix well.
- Grind the urad dal using wet grinder so that the batter gets good aeration.
- Drain the water from urad dal , add it to grinder, sprinkle water in between, consistency of the batter is very important. if it is too thick, it becomes hard, if it is thin, it also drinks much oil.consistency should be like fluffy soft balls.
- Also to be noted that you want to add the salt, after making the batter, else batter becomes soggy.
- After making the batter, you should deep fry it immediately, don't keep it aside for hours.batter becomes soggy.
Vada preparation Method
- Take the thick bottomed kadai, add oil to it and allow it to heat.
- In the mean time take ziplog cover or banana leaf , pat some water over it, then make the ball, tap it and make a hole in a centre using index finger, then deep fry it,till both sides are cooked, and it turns golden brown colour.
- Drain the excess oil with snack towel.
- Take a bowl of water and wet your hands in between while making vadas.
- My grand ma told me to add raw rice, with urad dal, which gives crispness to the vada.
- you can add 10 crushed pepper corns and 1/2 a tsp of crushed cumin seeds to the batter to enrich the flavour which is optional.
- while making vadas for prasadam just exclude the onions.