Poornam kudumulu is an authentic kudumulu Recipe, made with delicious Chanadal Stuffing Inside.It is made during Vinayaka chavithi & Varalakshmi Vratham at Andhra & Karnataka. Now we will learn to make Poornam kudumulu.
Method for Poornam Preparation
Pressure cook the Chanadal with needed water for 5 whistles, then drain the water completely. Then Grind Chanadal, Coconut & cardomom into a paste. finally add Jaggery & Grind again to a fine paste.(drizzle few drops of water, while Grinding).
Heat the kadai, add 1 tbsp of Ghee add the Ground Chanadal Paste & saute for few minutes till it becomes a whole mass & it leaves the sides of kadai. Now Poornam is Ready.
Method for Outer Dough Preparation.
- Take Heavy bottomed vessel, add 1 cup of water, when it starts boiling,keep the stove in sim mode, add 1 tsp of oil,salt & Rice flour.
- Then cover the lid. Insert a long spoon or ladle,between lid & kadai as shown in the picture.Let it be in sim mode for 8 minutes.
- After 8 minutes switch off the stove & transfer it into a plate and knead well, to make a dough.Just sprinkle few drops of hot water to make soft dough.Finally add 1 tsp of oil and knead well.Now basic kozhukkatai dough is ready(Make sure that dough should not have even small lumps in it).Now outer cover dough is ready.
Shaping & Steaming the kudumulu
- Take the dough,apply some oil over hand,then divide it into equal portions and make it into small smooth lemon sized balls.(make sure that balls should not have crack in it).
- Make small cups as shown in the picture.
- Then fill with chanadal stuffing.
- Bring the Edges together,seal properly & Shape as Round balls.
- Else bring the edges together and seal properly, then fold the edges as shown in the picture. Do it Gently.Now kozhukkatai shaping is ready.Repeat the same for remaining dough.
- Then grease some oil, over idli plate and place kozhukkatai(kudumulu) over it.
- Steam cook it for 10 - 12 minutes. Now kozhukkatai is ready.Allow it, to cool for 10 -12 minutes.Then serve.
- I always prefer idiyappam flour to make the kozhukkatai for best results.
- Inserting the long spoon between lid & kadai, makes the dough to cook evenly.
- It is important to note that while kneading, just sprinkle hot water on the dough.if you add more water to the dough, you won't get kozhukkatai(kudumulu) shape .
- Cooking the dough in sim mode for few minutes, makes the dough softer & smoother.
- kneading, is the important step, knead well to make smooth dough.
- I used half cup of jaggery for Poornam, if you want more sweetness add 3/4 cup of jaggery.