Bottle Gourd(Lauki) kootu is a healthy South Indian Kootu Recipe, made with lentils simmered in Spicy Coconut Paste. It Goes well with Rice,Chapathi, Roti & Phulka's.Bottle Gourd is a best food for weight loss, it contains 96 % of water & Packed with fiber content, which keeps you filling for longer time. Dal is also rich in Protein and fiber content, so it is a healthy Kootu recipe.Now we will see the preparation to make Bottle Gourd Kootu.
- Pressure Cook Bottle Gourd & Moong dal with turmeric & needed water for 2 whistles.
- Meanwhile Grind everything Given in "To Grind" column.
- When the pressure subsides, open the lid, switch on the stove, add needed water, when water starts boiling add Ground Paste. Let it cook , till it gets little thicker,like kootu consistency.
- Heat the oil, add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dal, hing, Red chillies , curry leaves & Pour over the Kootu. Give a quick Mix.
- Instead of Pressure cooking the dal & bottle Gourd in a Cooker, you can Pressure cook it, directly in a kadai with needed water till it turns soft.
- Instead of khuz khuz, you can add fried Gram also, to thicken the Gravy.
- Tempering gives nice flavour to kootu.
- Instead of Moong dal you can use toor dal also, or combination of both, if so you have to cook dal seperately & bottle Gourd Seperately.