Aval Payasam is made with Roasted Poha in a ghee, & simmered in a thick milk, jaggery is added for sweetness & finally Garnished with Cashews & Raisins. Poha is favourite for krishna, so I am posting this payasam for Krishna Jayanthi. Poha is a filling Ingredient, which provides energy till next meal, so this Payasam is also taken during fasting or Upvas.
- Heat the Ghee in a Pan, fry cashewsnuts when it turns light Golden brown colour, add Raisins, when raisins Pops remove both of it from the Pan.
- In the same Pan, add Poha & saute it, till you get nice aroma.Add the boiled Milk to heavy bottomed Pan & sim it, until it reduces its volume to 2 cups.
- Then add Roasted Poha, cook in Medium low flame, till it turns soft, & blends well with Milk.
- Add Jaggery give a quick Mix.Swich off the flame.
- Finally Garnish with Roasted Cashews & Raisins.
- Cool the Jaggery Completely before adding, else there might be the chances of Curdling.
- you can add 1/4 tsp of Cardomom Powder, for extra flavour.
- you can soak 2 -3 Saffron strands, in 2 tbsp of milk for few minutes & add that milk, after adding jaggery syrup, & give a quick Mix.
- Serve it hot or chill.