Thinai Akki Roti is a Healthy Akki Roti made with Thinai Flour. Normally Akki Roti is made with Rice flour, I replaced it with Thinai flour(Foxtail Millet flour). It came out soft & Delicious. you can replace foxtail millets with Barnyard millets or kodo millet or little millets flour. It is called Thinai in Tamil,Navane in Kannanda & Korralu in Telugu, Kangni in Hindi.Foxtail Millet is a Staple food of South India. Foxtail Millets are high in Dietary fiber which aids in proper break down of food & complete digestion. Studies have shown that carbohydrates and fiber in foxtail millet are beneficial for diabetics, reducing blood sugar levels by about 70%. No we will learn to make thinai Akki Roti.
|Korralu Akki Roti|
- Take a mixing bowl combine foxtail Millet flour, chopped onions,cumin seeds,Green chillies, coriander leaves, curry leaves,salt and Grated coconut.
- Mix everything by adding water little by little into soft and spreadable dough.
- Use white wet muslin cloth or Greased banana leaf or Ziplock cover. Divide the dough into lemon sized balls , take each ball & spread it into a circular disc,as thin as Possible. In between wet your hands with water for easy spreading.
- Heat the tawa, when it is hot,place the roti, over the tawa, drizzle some oil.
- Cook till, both the sides turns little golden brown colour then remove it from tawa.Serve hot.
- I used foxtail Millets to make the dough. Instead you can use kodo Millet or little Millet or Barnyard Millet.
- you can get store bought flour also.
- You can also add Ground Coconut + Green chillies + Ginger + salt while making the dough,instead of chopping it.