Methi Thepla is a Healthy Gujarathi Recipe made with Whole Wheat flour,Sorghum flour & Pearl Millet flour, Spiced up with Some Spice Powders,incorporated with healthy fenugreek leaves.These Theplas are travel staples,mostly taken during long trips.
Health benefits of fenugreek leaves includes, as fenugreek is rich in fibre and antioxidants, it helps in flushing out harmful toxins from the body and thus, aids digestion. It is also helpful in treating gastric problems and other intestinal issues.It also helps in preventing and treating of Type II diabetes.Fenugreek ranks high among the ‘must haves’ for nursing mothers. This is due to the presence of diosgenin in the spice which increases milk production in lactating mothers.Today we will learn to make methi Thepla's.
- Take the Mixing bowl add wheat flour,bajra flour & jowar flour.(Instead of Bajra flour & Jowar flour you could use wheat flour itself. if so add 1 + 1/2 cups of wheat flour).
- Then add all spice powders such as chilli Powder,Turmeric Powder and cumin Powder with needed salt & 1 tbsp of oil. Mix well.
- Add coarsely chopped Methi leaves.Now add 3 tbsp of curd.Mix well.
- Now add water little by little, & knead well to make a pliable dough.
- Take a medium sized ball, dust it with flour & roll into theplas using a Rolling Pin as we make chapathi's.
- Heat the tawa/Griddle, when it is hot, place the thepla's, when cooked on one side flip the thepla.
- When both sides are cooked & when Golden spots appear, smear oil or Ghee all over the thepla & remove it from tawa.
- Healthy,yummy theplas are Ready for Travel also.
- Serve Theplas with Curd or Pickle or any curries.
- I used wheat flour,bajra flour & jowar. Instead you can use whole wheat flour itself.
- if you don't have cumin powder, heat the cumin seeds in a dry kadai, till it pops & powder it.
- you can also add 1/4 tsp of Ajwain seeds while making the dough,for Good Digestion.
- Adding oil gives softness to the dough.
- For Travel, or not consuming immediately, wrap the theplas in aluminium foil or soft cotton cloth to maintain softness.