Ragi Idli is a healthy and filling breakfast Recipe packed with proteins and amino acids.Ragi has been proved to work wonders in bringing down blood cholesterol levels. Fibers in Ragi reduces excess appetite, gives you a feeling of fullness, and the slower digestion rate of the cereal allows you to take less calories. This supports the process of weight loss.Consumption of Ragi based diet is helpful for people with diabetes because of the higher fiber content as compared to rice and wheat.Now we learn to make healthy Ragi idli using Ragi Cereals.
- Wash and Soak Ragi cereals seperately.Soak idli rice Seperately, both for 7 - 8 hrs or over night. Soak urad dal + fenugreek seeds together, before 1 hr of grinding
- Grind Urad dal till soft and fluffy. Grind Ragi cereals in a mixie or grinder with needed water, into a coarse paste, then add rice grind it, into a little coarse paste with needed water.
- Mix together ground urad dal and ground Ragi batter with needed salt.Normally i use hands to mix well.
- Allow it to ferment for 7 to 8 hours or over night, depending upon the climatic conditions, if climate is chill more time is required to ferment.In such cases keep the container inside the oven it will get fermented quickly.
- Consistency should be like normal idli batter consistency.
- Pour the batter over the idli mould, and steam cook for 10 - 12 minutes. Insert a spoon to check, whether idli's are done. if it comes out as clean spoon,idli's are cooked else cook for few more minutes.
For detailed description plz visit my soft idli's procedure.
- Urad dal Consistency should be fluffy,it should not be watery.So add water little by little to grind the urad dal.This is very important step to prepare soft and fluffy idli's.Even if rice consistency is watery, if u mix with urad dal batter, after fermentation, it becomes thick.
- While mixing the batter together, stir from the bottom of container . usually i use hands to mix the batter.
- You can also add 1/4 cup of water, to batter and make Ragi dosa's.