Idli is an authentic south Indian breakfast Recipe.No south Indian functions end without idli. Idly an indian steamed cake,usually served with sambar and different types of chutney's.The rice and urad dal in idli's complement each other, making it a complete protein.They are also low on calories, high on energy and are easily digestible. The vegetables and dal in the sambhar are good supplements.South Indians have brought the popular idli wherever they have settled throughout the world.
Idli rice - 4 cup (idli arisi) Ratio:4:1
urad dal - 1 cup
salt - as requiredfenugreek - 1 tsp
- wash idli rice and soak it for 4 to 5 hours or overnight before grinding.
- wash and soak urad dal and fenugreek seeds,one hour before grinding.soak rice seperately & urad dal + fenugreek seeds seperately.
- Grind urad dal and fenugreek seperately till it become soft and fluffy.Add water little by little, to get smooth batter. Ground urad dal consistency should be thick and fluffy not watery & transfer it to a container.idli comes well only if urad dal batter is thick & fluffy.
- Now grind idli rice seperately till it become fine paste with needed water.
- After mixing the batter pour it in a container , container should be half filled,because after fermentation quantity of the batter will get doubled.
- Allow it to ferment for 7 to 8 hours or over night, depending upon the climatic conditions, if climate is chill more time is required to ferment.In such cases keep the container inside the oven it will get fermented quickly.
Fermented batterOnce the batter is fermented, add 1 or 2 tbsp of water and mix it well, to get the consistency as shown in the picture.Now idli batter is ready.
HOW TO COOK IDLI'S
- You can use idli steamer or pressure cooker or heavy bottomed kadai, to make idli's. Pour some water on idli steamer or pressure cooker, and keep it on the fire, in the meantime wash the idli plates with running water, then spoon it with the batter.
- Allow it to steam for 10 - 12 minutes.
- Insert a spoon to check, whether idli's are done. if it comes out as clean,idli's are cooked else cook for few more minutes.
Some Ideas with Idli Dosa batter
- First two days we make idli's, Third day we make dosa's.With final batter, we make uttapam or masala paniyaram.
- At times spoon the batter in mini idli moulds, to make mini idli's.Spoon tiffin Sambar on top of it , which becomes 14 idli.
- Pesarattu could also be done with this batter.
HOW TO MAKE DOSA'S
To the idli dosa batter add 1/4 cup of water & bring it to pourable consistency. Heat the tawa, when it is hot, drizzle some water, when it sounds shh! sound tawa is ready for dosa preparation.
Take the ladle of batter & spread it in a circular motion as thin you can, then drizzle some oil, when it turns crisp at one side, flip the dosa then cook on other side.Remove from tawa when both sides are cooked. Serve hot with dosa, chutney or Podi.
- Urad dal Consistency should be fluffy,it should not be watery.So add water little by little to grind the urad dal.This is very important step to prepare soft and fluffy idli's.Even if rice consistency is watery, if u mix with urad dal batter, after fermentation, it becomes thick.
- If Urad dal consistency is watery, you won't get idli's.but you can prepare dosa's and uttapam's.
- While mixing urad dal and rice batter to gether, stir from the bottom of container . usually i use hands to mix the batter.
- it is not necessary to Grease idli plates with oil.
For best side dish for Idli Dosa click here:Best Side Dish for Idli and Dosa