Semiya Puliyodarai is a Tangy Semiya upma made with tamarind and some spice powders. This is a Simple quick tiffin recipe, that we can make at busy morning. it is a variant of semiya upma.it is a Easy bachelor recipe.
Vermicilli - 1 cup.
Water - 1+1/2 cups [including tamarind extract].
jaggery - 1/2 tsp.
salt - for taste.
chilli powder - 3/4 tsp.
curry leaves - 1 sprig.
tamarind - goose bery size.
Red chillies - 2. [broken into 2].
turmeric - 1/8 tsp.
idli milagai podi - 1/2 tsp.
Coconut Grated - 2 tbsp.
cilantro - for Garnishing.
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp.
chana dal - 2 tsp.
urad dal - 1 tsp
Roasted peanuts - 2 tbsp.
- Soak the tamarind in one and half cups of water to prepare tamarind extract, retain the water and through the pulp.
- dry roast the vermicilli,if it is not roasted.
- Heat the oil, add mustard seeds when it splutters add chana dal,urad dal,curry leaves,Red chillies.When dals turns golden brown colour add Roasted peanuts and saute for one more minute.
- Now add tamarind extract(which is already soaked in 1 +1/2 cups of water, so no need to add water seperately).
- Add jaggery,salt,chilli powder,turmeric to it.
- When it starts boiling add roasted semiya, stir it, until it is cooked well, and all the water is absorbed. Add idli milagai podi give a quick mix.
- Then add coconut mix for 2 more minutes.
- Garnish with Fresh cilantro.
- Now delicious semiya Pulihora is ready to serve.
- Adding idli milagai podi adds additional flavour to semiya, if you don't have you could add 1 tsp of chilli powder instead.