Sorakkai adai is a healthy & tasty adai made with lentils & some spices, with grated Sorakkai as Topping. lentils are packed with rich protein & fibre content. Bottle Gourd contains many vitamins and minerals, such as, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, Vitamin A, C and folate. so it is a healthy adai recipe. Spicy adai with mild taste of sorakkai as topping make the adai yummy. I learnt this recipe from my neighbour Hastalatha.
- Grind Idli rice, Toor dal , chanadal with cumin seeds,fennel seeds,ginger,curry leaves,red chillies, salt & hing into a little coarse paste. Let the consistency be little thinner than idli dosa batter consistency.
- Heat the oil, add mustard seeds when it splutters pour it in the batter. Mix well. Now batter is Ready.
- Heat the tawa, when it is hot, just spread the batter , in a circular motion,little thick. Sprinkle Grated Bottle Gourd on each Adai. Drizzle some oil, cover with lid.
- When it is cooked, flip the adai, remove from tawa, when both sides are cooked.
- Fermentation is not necessary for this adai. but you can give the standing time of 2 hours.
- you can add chopped Onions or Green onions to the batter for extra taste.
- Cover the adai, to avoid dryness to the adai.
- Alternatives: Instead of adding Grated bottle Gourd on top of adai, you can add chopped bottle Gourd while Grinding or you can Grate bottle Gourd and it to batter & mix.