Sundal Kuzhambu is made with cute black chana dal with some freshly Ground Spices. It Goes well with Dosa,chapathi,Roti,Puttu,Appam & Rice.Chana dal being low in fat, high in dietary fiber and rich in vitamins and minerals, it is really a healthy addition to our diet.Due to its high fiber content, it keeps you feel fuller for longer time.It regulates hormone level in Women. No we will learn the Recipe.
- Soak the chana with needed water overnight or 7 - 8 hours, then replace it, with fresh water & pressure cook it, till it turns soft.(I pressure cooked for 6 - 7 whistles in high flame).
- Soak the tamarind extract with 1 cup of water for half an hour,then squeeze the tamarind, retain the water & throw the pulp.
- Heat the kadai with a tsp of oil add toor dal, urad dal, corainder seeds & cumin seeds. Saute everything together till dal's turns light Golden brown colour. Then add pearl onions,saute till it turns transparent. Then add tomatoes cook till it turns mushy.Then add coconut give a quick mix. switch off the flame. Coconut gets cooked with heat of kadai. Then Grind everything with needed water to a fine puree.
- Heat the oil in a kadai, add mustard seeds, when it splutters add cumin seeds when it sizzles add fenugreek seeds, curry leaves & hing.Give a quick mix.
- Add tamarind Extract. Let it cook for 1 minute.
- Then add Cooked chana dal along with its cooked water,salt & Ground Paste. Mix well.
- Add(adjust) the water according to the consistency.
- Simmer until the kuzhambu Thickens. Add jaggery Stir well. Finally Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves.Switch off the flame.