Potato Masala is an Excellent Combination for Poori.In all the restaurants Poori's are often served with Potato Masala. Potato Masala is also a good Accompaniment for Chapathi, Roti & Dosa. I am a big fan of this Poori Masala. At times i get Poori from hotel for lunch. In hotels for parcel, they wrap Poori's in Banana leaf. Between 2 Poori's, they keep this Masala. It will taste divine to have Soggy Poori's with this Masala at lunch time. No we will learn to make Poori Masala with some tricks.
- Pressure cook the Potatoes for 3 whistles with needed water, till soft. Then peel the skin & mash it, & keep it aside.
- Cut the Onions lengthwise & chop the tomatoes & ginger finely.
- Cut the Green chillies into roundels.
- Crush the Garlic.
- Grind 1 tbsp of fried gram(Putnala Pappu) into a fine powder.
- Heat the oil, add mustard seeds , when it splutters add fennel seeds,when you get Good smell of it, add chana dal,urad dal, crushed garlic,Green chillies, Ginger & curry leaves.
- When dal's turns Golden brown colour, add onions.
- Saute onions just it turns transparent.Not necessary to saute till it turns its colour.
- Then add tomatoe, saute for few seconds.
- Add 3 cups of water, salt & turmeric.
- When water starts boiling add mashed Potato, mix well.
- Cook in a medium flame for 3 - 4 minutes, to get Masala consistency.
- Add Fried Gram powder by diluting it in 2 tbsp of water for Extra taste & thickness.
- Just mash the potaotes roughly. Mash it such that potato Pieces be bigger, here & there.
- Adding Fennel seeds & crushed garlic gives nice flavour to masala.
- Cut the onions lengthwise.It is just enough to saute the onions,till it turns transparent.
- Adding fried gram powder gives Extra taste & thickness to the gravy. This tip was given by my neighbour.
- you can add chopped carrots while sauteing onions.
- you can add handful of cooked peas to the Masala, while adding potatoes.