Dhokla is a Popular Gujarathi Savoury Sponge cake, it can be Served as Breakfast or as a snack. Rava Dhokla is one type of Dhokla Recipe made from Semolina or Sooji. Sooji is blended with Sour curd, with addition of eno salt to make dhokla's spongy & toppings with Sesame & cumin as 'Tadka', makes the dhokla divine. I came to know this recipe from my friend Visalakshi. In her home she often makes this as dinner. It is an easy & simple breakfast recipe, office Goers & professionals can try this at busy mornings. It can also be packed for kids lunch box Recipe.
- Take the mixing bowl add Sooji, salt & 1.5 cups of curd, to make a thick batter, and let it sit aside for minimum 2 hrs.
- After 2 hours, add remaining half- cup of curd, to make the batter pouring Consistency.
- Grind Green chillies & Ginger to a Paste and add it to batter.
- Grate the carrot & add it to batter.
- Add Sugar, lemon juice to the batter & mix well.
- Add Eno Salt & give a quick mix.
- Now immediately transfer the batter to greased plate or tray & steam cook for 18 - 20 minutes.
- Insert a knife or tooth pick to check if it is done.
- Allow it to cool for 5 minutes.
- Mean while heat the oil, add mustard seeds when it splutters add cumin seeds when it sizzles add sesame seeds,curry leaves and hing. Fry for some seconds. Then add 2 tbsp of water over the tempering.
- Now Spread the tempering, evenly over the dhokla .
- Run the knife through the corners of the plate or vessel.
- Then cut the dhokla into desired shape & Garnish with coriander leaves over the dhokla pieces,while serving.
- if you don't have eno salt, you can replace it with 1/2 tsp of baking soda.
- i used carrot while making the batter, you could also add one handful of cooked & slightly Mashed Green peas.
- you can steam cook the dhokla batter directly in pressure cooker, without using pressure valve or you can add some water in a kadai,then place the plate , close the lid & cook for specified time.
- Always the plate, only should be half filled with dhokla batter.