Kayi Holige is a classic Holige recipe made with sweet Coconut stuffing. This recipe is made during festive occasions like Sankranthi, Ugadi,Navaratri &Diwali. Bread with freshly Grated Coconut & Jaggery Stuffing gives distinct taste. I am a Big fan of this Poli.In Adayar Anand Bhavan, they make soft & delicious Poli's. Whenever i Go to Adayar Anand Bhavan I order this Poli. Poli & Ugadi Goes hand to hand. As ugadi falls on April 08th, of this Month, I planned to post this popular boli Recipe.
To Make Outer Dough
Combine Maida,salt, turmeric powder, 2 tbsp of oil together & add water little by little, to make a dough. finally add 1 tbsp of oil over the dough, cover it & let it sit aside for minimum 3 hours. Dough will loosen. Then after 3 hours, knead the dough again, to make smooth & pliable dough.
To Make Filling
- Grate the Coconut & Jaggery, & keep it Ready.
- Finely chop the cashews.
- Take a kadai, add a tsp of Ghee, add Grated coconut & Powdered Jaggery. Mix well.Cook in a Low flame,Jaggery melts & it gets incorporated with Coconut & becomes thick as shown in the Picture. It takes nearly 3 -4 minutes to combine.Finally add finely chopped Cashews & give a Quick Mix.Take a small quantity of filling & Roll it. you could able to make a ball. This will be the right consistency. Now Coconut Filling is Ready.
- Make equal sized balls from the dough, as shown in the picture.
- Grease the banana leaf or ziplock cover with oil, place the balls, and pat it into small poori's, as shown in the picture.
- Again Grease your fingers with oil, then spread into thin Poli's.cook at low - medium flame, on both the sides, by drizzling a tsp of Ghee, till Golden spots appear.Repeat the Same Procedure for Remaining Dough.
- More the time the dough sits aside, dough will be softer & becomes like elastic.
- Also, Do not compromise the quantity of oil, else dough won't be softer, so obviously poli's.
- Making the dough thin or thick, depends upon your choice.
- Adding the turmeric is optional.
- Let the poornam be stiff, if watery, poornam will come out while making bobbatlu.
- you can add pinch of cardomom powder atlast while making the stuffing & give a quick Mix.
- you can smear the Ghee on the top of Bobbatlu for extra taste.