Mysore Masala Dosa is an Classic Karnataka Breakfast Recipe. Dosa's are Crisp at outside, and spongy inside, Spread with hot Red chutney as one layer & Potato filling in another layer,makes the dosa, hot & Spicy. Dosa filling with Hot chutney,with a dollop of butter, when blended with mild potatoes tastes awesome.Coconut Chutney is a Perfect Accompaniment for this Dosa.when you go for Karnataka Restaurants,never miss this yummy Dosa.
Preparation of Dosa Batter
Soak Idli Rice,Raw Rice,urad dal,chana dal,Toor dal,methi seeds for 5 hrs, or overnight with needed water. just wash and add Poha, while grinding. Then Grind everything into smooth paste,with needed water & salt in a wet Grinder.Allow it to ferment for 7 - 8 hrs,or overnight.Let the consistency of batter be dosa batter consistency.
Preparation of Hot Red Chutney
- Heat the kadai, add 1 tsp of oil, add Red chillies & tamarind, saute for 2 - 3 minutes.Then add shallots,Garlic, saute till shallots turns light Golden brown colour, then add Fried Gram mix well.
- Switch off the flame. Grind everything into a smooth Paste with needed water & salt.Now Red chutney is Ready.
Preparation of Potato Masala
- Cook the potatoes for 3 whistles, then remove the skin, & mash it well.
- Heat the oil, add mustard seeds when it splutters, add urad dal,chana dal cashews & curry leaves, saute till dals turns golden brown.
- Add onions, Ginger and Green chillies. Saute till onions turns slightly golden brown.
- Then add 1/3 cup of water, needed salt and 1/4 tsp of turmeric.When water starts boiling add mashed potatoes, saute for few seconds till water is absorbed, and it becomes a thick curry.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro.Now Potato curry is Ready.
- Heat the tawa, spread the dosa. Drizzle some oil.
- When dosa is half cooked, spoon it with 1 tbsp of Red chutney.Spread the chutney over the dosa, evenly, as shown in the Picture.
- Then add butter, and spread evenly.(optional)
- Finally top with 3 tbsp of Potato Masala, slightly spread the Masala, and Fold the Dosa.
- Don't flip the Dosa.Serve hot with Coconut Chutney or Sambar.
- Always use wet Grinder, for Good Results.
- Taste of Masala dosa depends on Red chutney.I made the Red chutney with Hot & Spicy. if you want less spiciness, reduce the no of Red chillies.
- Adding Ginger gives nice flavour to Masala.
- Make the masala, as little thick curry,than dry, for good Taste.
- Adding butter is optional, if you want nice crispy browning texture, add butter.
- Coconut Chutney is an apt combination for this Dosa.