Ragi roti is a popular breakfast recipe in state of karnataka. This Roti is made with Ragi flour. Finger Millet's(Ragi) Phytochemicals help in slowing digestion process. This helps in controlling blood sugar level in condition of diabetes.It also contains high fiber content than rice and wheat.Ragi is a very good source of natural Iron. Ragi consumption helps in condition of Anaemia.Ragi is an extremely nutritious cereal and is very beneficial for maintaining a good health.Ragi is rich in Calcium which helps in strengthening bones. It is an excellent source of natural calcium for growing children and aging people.Now we learn to make healthy and popular karntaka cuisine Ragi Roti.
- Soak the tamarind in 1/4 cup of water, till it is soft, then squeeze the tamarind to get the extract. Throw the pulp and retain the water. Now Tamarind extract is Ready.
- Heat the oil, add mustard seeds when it splutters add cumin seeds .
- When cumin seeds sizzles add green chillies & curry leaves. When chillies turns pale colour, add onions, saute till onions turns pink.Then add 1 cup of water + 1/4 cup of Tamarind Extract.
- When water comes to rolling boil, add Ragi flour.
- Pour Ragi flour in one hand, and keep on stiring water in other hand. Make sure it should not have any lumps in it.stir till becomes a whole mass and leaves the sides of kadai.Garnish with fresh cilantro.mix well.Now Dough is ready.
- Divide into 4 equal sized balls.Grease the banana leaf or polythene sheet,then spread each ball as shown in the picture.
- Heat the tawa, when it is hot, transfer the roti to tawa , when it is little cooked drizzle some oil.
- Flip on other side, remove from tawa, when both sides are cooked .
- Adding Tamarind extract gives extra tangy taste to ragi flour.
- Cook the Roti always in a Medium flame,else roti may burnt.