Do you have left over rice? Don't worry. you could make soft,spongy and yummy idli's.Already i have posted left over rice recipes,compiled from my blog. This is my 10th post,regarding it.Cooked rice, when blended with idli rava, and curd, tastes good.
Grind cooked rice + Green chillies + salt with a cup of curd into a fine Paste, in a blender or mixie.
- Take a wide mixing vessel, add rice rava, add ground cooked paste and mix it with 2 cups of water.
- Allow it to ferment over night or 8 - 9 hrs.
- Before Making idli's, temper the batter with items listed in "To Temper" column. Then add chopped curry leaves,chopped Ginger and cilantro. Mix well.
- Make sure the batter is in idli batter consistency.Adjust water According to the consistency.
- Then take the idli mould, grease some oil, over each plates.Spoon it with batter.
- Then steam cook it for 16 - 18 minutes, or inserted spoon or fork comes out clean.
- Allow it to rest for 2 - 3 minutes.Then un mould it.
- Adding Ginger, Fresh cilantro and curry leaves gives extra flavour to idli's.
- Since we are using cooked rice, it takes time to steam cook. check inserted spoon comes out clean,before u unmould.
- Adjust water according to batter consistency.
- Fermenting idli rava with cooked rice, gives softness to idli's.
- if you have left over batter, you can make it as uttapam, the next day.