Brinjal Curries are popular in Andhra. Brinjal curry made with Poppy seeds and some spices, gives nice spicy taste to curry.This semi solid curry,when mixed with hot rice, and dollop of ghee,tastes exotic.Eggplant reduces the chance of cardiovascular diseases and strokes.The digestive system is kept healthy and safe because of the good content of fibre in brinjals.Eggplants have a good amount of water content. This helps in keeping your body and skin well hydrated. The minerals and vitamins also help give a clear and smooth tone.Now we learn to make tasty spicy curry.
Purple Brinjals - 1/4 kg.
Poppy seeds - 2 tbsp.
Coriander Seeds - 1 tbsp.
Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tsp.
chilli powder - 1 tsp.
turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp.
salt - as needed.
Tamarind - small Goosebery size.
Jaggery - 1/4 tsp.
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp.
cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp.
- Soak the tamarind in little water, after half an hour, squeeze the tamarind to extract the juice and throw the pulp.
- Dry Roast the coriander seeds till u get good smell from it, then dry roast poppy seeds till it changes the colour, and also u get good smell.Keep it aside.when it cools down, grind it into a fine paste with little water.(first dry grind poppy seeds and coriander seeds, then it becomes dry powder, then add little water to make a paste).
- Heat the oil, in a pan,add sliced brinjals and Roast them till it turns golden brown colour, then remove it from kadai and keep it aside.
- In a kadai, add oil, then mustard seeds, when it splutters, add cumin seeds when it sizzles, add Ginger Garlic paste and a tbsp of water, saute for few minutes till raw smell goes.
- Then add chilli powder, turmeric, powder saute for a minute.Then add Corainder +Poppy seeds paste, saute for 2 minutes, then add tamarind extract saute everything for few minutes till the raw smell goes.
- Then add 1 + 1/2 cup of water,jaggery and salt.When water starts boiling add roasted brinjals, cook in medium low flame, till brinjals are so soft and comes in the form of gravy consistency.
- This Gravy goes well with Hot Rice,Mild Pulao's, chapathi and Roti's.
- Instead of grinding coriander seeds, you could also add coriander powder.
- Cook till brinjals are soft and comes in the form of gravy consistency.