Chola Paniyaram is made with cholam(Sorghum), rice and urad dal. This is a healthy, & tasty tiffin recipe. sorghum is a gluten-free staple grain.The bran layers of pigmented sorghum varieties contain antioxidants that may help protect against cancer development.Consuming sorghum also boosts your nutrient intake. Jowar is rich in antioxidants.There are only three genetic colors in sorghum, white, red, or lemon-yellow.I used red sorghum.
Other names for sorghum include durra, Egyptian millet, feterita, Guinea corn, jwari ज्वारी (Marathi), jowar, juwar, milo, maize, shallu, Sudan grass, cholam (Tamil), jola (Kannada), jonnalu (Telugu), gaoliang , great millet, kafir corn, dura, dari, mtama, and solam.(wikipedia).
Soak cholam,Raw rice,idli rice,urad dal and fenugreek seeds with needed water, for 4 hrs or overnight.
- Grind everything into a fine batter with needed salt and water.
- Consistency be little thick,(idli/dosa batter) consistency.
- Ferment it overnight or 8- 9 hrs.
- Before making paniyaram, heat the oil, add mustard seeds when it splutters add chanadal and curd chillies. Saute till dal's and chillies turns golden brown colour and add it to batter.
- Add finely chopped onions,curry leaves and coriander leaves to the batter, mix well. Now batter preparation is ready.
Heat the paniyaram pan, when pan is hot, add oil in each partitions, spoon with batter.
you could find holes, in the batter.when one side is cooked.
Then flip the paniyaram, spoon with little oil. when both sides are cooked, and it turns golden brown, remove from pan either by spoon or knife.
- Instead of curd chillies, you could also add Green chillies.
- Batter should not be too thick or runny, it should be in pourable consistency.
- Adding idli rice gives extra softness to paniyaram.