Barnyard Millet Recipe is made with Barnyard Millet, Moongdal with some spices. Barnyard millet known as kuthiravali in Tamil,Oodalu in Kannada,odalu in Telugu,Jhangora in Hindi and Kavadapullu in Malayalam.Barnyard millet is rich in High Fiber content.Barnyard millet has the lowest carbohydrate content and energy value amongst all the varieties of Millets. The bran layers of millets are good sources of B-complex vitamins.Now we learn to make healthy Pongal Recipe.
- Wash Barnyard Millet and Moongdal together and soak for minimum 10 minutes.
- Pressure cook, barnyard millet and Moongdal with 4 cups of water and needed salt for 1 whistle and keep in sim mode for 5 minutes,then switch off the flame.
- When the pressure subsides, mash the pongal well with ladle.
- Heat the Ghee in kadai, add peppercorns,cumin seeds,Ginger, and hing. Saute for few seconds till you get nice aroma, and add this tadka over mashed Pongal. Serve hot. It Goes well with coconut chutney.
- you could also fry cashews and add to it.
- Serve the Pongal hot.
- if you don't like whole pepper, you could crush the pepper corns and add to it.