Ragi upma is a healthy Breakfast recipe, made with Ragi flour with juice of tamarind.Ragi flour with tamarind gives mild tangy taste to upma. Ragi is a rich source of Calcium, Iron, Protein, Fiber and other minerals. The cereal has low fat content and contains mainly unsaturated fat. It is easy to digest and does not contain gluten;Ragi is considered one of the most nutritious cereals. It has different names in local languages. It is known as Ragi in Telugu and Kannada, Kelvaragu/aariyam in Tamil, and Madua/Mangal in Hindi.This is a very healthy breakfast recipe, my mom use to make often.
- Soak the tamarind in 1/2 cup of water, for few minutes, till tamarind becomes soft, then squeeze the tamarind and throw the pulp. keep the tamarind water aside.
- Chop the onions and Green chillies finely and keep it aside.
- Heat the oil, add mustard seeds, when it splutters, add chana dal, urad dal, Green chillies, Red chillies and curry leaves.
- When dal's turns golden brown colour, add onions, saute till onions turns pink.
- Then add 2 cups of water, with 1/2 cup of tamarind extract. (1:2+1/2 ratio).Add salt.
- When water starts boiling, add ragi flour, little by little and mix well.
- Take care it should not have any lumps.saute now and then till the upma is cooked well. It nearly takes, 10 - 12 minutes to cook on medium flame.
- When it is cooked well, remove from flame and Garnish with fresh cilantro.
- Water ratio is 2 + 1/2 cups of water for 1 cup ragi flour, i have added 2 cups of water, and adjusted, 1/2 cup with tamarind extract.
- Ragi flour, has to be cooked well, which is the main step in making this upma.
- When the upma is cooked well, the flour turns to shiny texture, it is also a hint that upma is cooked well.
- Don't get fear when ragi flour is not cooked, saute now and then in moderate flame for few more minutes, till it is well cooked.