Kodo Millet is called (Hindi: Kodra; Tamil: Varagu; Telugu: Arikelu; Kannada: Harka, Koovaragu:Malayalam).Varagu rice is gluten-free and packed with vitamins,fibers and minerals.Kodo Rice helps in weight reduction. it also fights diabetics, if taken regularly.It is highly nutritious and filling breakfast Recipe. This recipe was taught by my neighbour aunty. I tried it and came out well. so I wanted to share this healthy recipe. Now we learn to make kodo millet Upma with step Wise Pictures.
- Wash Kodo millet two or three times, then drain the water completely and keep it aside.
- Chop onions, Green chillies and veggies finely. Grate the Ginger.
- Heat the oil in a Pressure cooker, add mustard seeds when it splutters, add urad dal, chanadal, curry leaves and Green chillies.
- When dal's turns golden brown add onions, Ginger, turmeric, saute till onions turns golden brown.
- Add carrots,beans,and potato saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Then add millet, saute for 1 minute, till everything combines.
- Then add water and salt. When water starts boiling & when steam comes from the cooker put the weight, and sim it to a low flame for 5 minutes. Then switch off the flame.Give a standing time of 10 minutes.
- Then open the lid and serve hot with any type of chutney or sambar .
- you could also make upma in a pan, but if you make in pressure cooker, it gives more softness to upma.
- Diabetic patients plz exclude potatoes.