Kanchipuram Idli is a traditional idli prepared at town of Kanchipuram in India.Kanchipuram is a Variant of Normal idli, spiced with cumin seeds,pepper seeds and ginger, which gives extra flavour to idli. .Its seasoning gives excellent flavour to idli.This idli is prepared in deep cups instead of using normal idli stand.Kanchipuram idli goes very well with onion chutney.
Idli rice - 1 cup.
Raw rice - 1/2 cup.
urad dal - 1/2 cup.
Ghee - 3 tbsp.
ginger - 1 inch.[grated]
cumin seeds - 1/2 tbsp.
pepper seeds - 1/2 tbsp.
cashews - 15. [ chop into small pieces]
curry leaves - 10.
oil - needed to grease on tumbler.
- Soak raw rice and idli rice together for 5 hrs.
- Soak urad dal just 1 hr before grinding.
- crush cumin seeds and pepper seeds coarsely.
- Grind soaked urad dal into a fine paste.
- Grind soaked raw rice and idli rice together to a fine batter by adding little water.
- Then mix ground urad dal and rice. Allow it to ferment for 8 - 10 hrs
- Take a kadai , add 3 tbsp of ghee when it is hot,add chopped ginger,crushed cumin and pepper seeds, curry leaves, chopped cashews saute for few minutes, then pour it over idli batter.
- Consistency of idli should be like our normal idli batter.
Take a tumbler, grease with oil, Pour a batter into a tumbler[tumbler should be half filled].
Take a idli vessel, pour 3-4 cups of water, place the tumblers in the idli bowl, [Normally we place 4 - 6 tumblers in it].
Allow it to steam for 20 minutes.leave it for 2 minutes, then use knife through, the sides to remove it. Then turn the tumbler upside down to remove the idli's from tumbler.
It goes very well with Onion Chutney.