Avarekalu Huli (Mochai kuzhambu) is a Perfect Combination for Paal Pongal. This Pulusu will also Pair with Steamed Rice,idli,Ragi Mudde and Dosa. This kara kuzhambu with creamy Milk Pongal gives awesome taste.
Toor dal - 1/3 cup.
Mochai (avarekalu) - 1/4 cup.
carrot - 1.
beans - 2.
brinjal - 2.
tamarind - Small goosebery size.
pumpkin - cut into 1 inch cubes [10 pieces].
oil- to fry.
salt - to taste.
tomato - 1.
Pearl onion - 10. [optional]
curry leaves - 10.
mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp.hing - 2 pinch.
To Make Paste
chana dal - 1 tsp.
coriander seeds - 2 tsp.
red chillies - 5.
black pepper -5.
cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp.
fenugreek seeds/vendayam/menthi - 1/4 tsp.
coconut- 1 tbsp.
Dry Roast everything except coconut, saute,till everything turns golden brown colour, finally add coconut ,give a quick mix & switch off the flame & grind everything into a smooth paste with Needed water.
- Soak the dried avarekalu over night, and pressure cook it for five to six whistles, if you are using frozen or fresh Field beans(anumulu), soak field beans in water for 3 -4 hours,then de-skin the field beans & just cook in a wide vessel with little water, till it is soft.(it takes 10 minutes to cook).
- Pressure cook toor dal, till mushy.
- Soak the tamarind in water, to extract the juice,retain the juice and throw the Pulp .
- Heat the oil, add mustard seeds,when it splutters add onion,hing, add chopped tomatoes, curry leaves . Saute tomatoes till mushy.Then add all veggies, one by one such as carrot,beans, brinjal, and pumpkin. saute it well for 5 to 7 min.
- Add needed water, when 3/4 of veggies are cooked, add tamarind extract.
- Add the ground paste,then add salt . stir well.
- When it starts boiling, add cooked avarekalu and mashed toor dal
- Allow it to boil for 5 -7 minutes, till it gets Sambar consistency.Now avarekalu huli is ready.Garnish with fresh cilantro.
- It goes very well with Ragi Mudde, idli,dosa and rice.