Arisi Paruppu Sadam is an Authentic Dish from Coimbatore. It is an Easy one Pot meal Recipe. if you feel tiresome, you can make this Protein Rich Toor Dal Rice in no time. It is high in dietary fibre, low in saturated fat, and cholesterol free.The split lentil (tur dal) is slightly sweet, having nutty flavor, easily digestible and absorbs the flavor of other spices quickly. When this dal is combined is combined with rice, a complete protein is gained. Toor dal contains folic acid, an important vitamin for all women especially those planning to become pregnant.My mother often used to tell that her friends brings this rice to office often. Now we learn to make healthy protein Rich & Easy Rice variety.
- Soak Rice + Toor dal in Water for 20 minutes.
- Heat the oil, add mustard seeds when it splutters add cumin seeds, when it sizzles, add Garlic, green chillies,Red chillies, curry leaves.
- When Garlic turns lightly Golden brown, add onions.
- Saute till onions turns golden brown, then add tomatoes,turmeric,and Sambar Powder.Saute till tomatoes turns mushy.
- Add the rice+toor dal, saute for a minute.
- Then add needed water(4+ 1/2 cup) & salt.
- when water starts boiling, transfer it to a vessel, and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- When pressure subsides,open the lid, add tsp of Ghee, before serving and serve with Potato fry or Appalam.
- you can pressure cook directly, but for beginners, there might be a chances of burning.So I always,prefer to cook the rice using vessel in a cooker. just add 2 cups of water, and place the vessel and cook for 3 whistles.
- you can also use pearl onions, it tastes Good.
- Adding Both Red chillies & Green chillies gives spiciness to Rice.
- Always serve hot.