Foxtail Millet - 4 cups.
urad dal - 1 cup.
Fenugreek Seeds - 1 tsp.
Salt - as Needed.
Wash and soak Millets seperately for 4 - 5 hrs. Soak urad dal + fenugreek seeds for one hour before Grinding.
Method for batter Preparation
- Grind urad dal seperately until fluffy like we make for normal idli.
|fluffy Urad dal|
- Grind Millets seperately till a smooth paste.
- Mix both the batter, and add salt. Allow it to ferment overnight or 9 - 10 hours.Fermentation depends on weather condition. Next day batter would be raised. stir with ladle, and adjust the consistency.
- Consistency of batter is like normal idli consistency not too thick or thin.
Method for idli Preparation
- Boil the water in idli pan, grease the idli plate with oil, then spoon it with batter.
- Steam cook for 10 - 15 minutes or fork inserted in a idli comes out clean.
- Remove the idli's from idli plate after 2 - 3 minutes, so idli's comes out well from idli plate.
- Serve hot with any type of chutney or sambar.
- Refigerate the batter, and make dosa's for next day.
- Make uttapam's or paniyaram after 2 days by adding onions and Green chilles with tempering of mustard seeds,chanadal and curry leaves.
- Add water little by little to make the batter, if batter is runny you can't make idli's, but you can make dosa's or uttapam's, so don't worry.
- you can replace thinai idli rice with saamai, varagu or kuthiraivali rice.